About the unique 2M design
2M is developed together with the Danish designer "MÝllerJensen Design" from Copenhagen, Denmark - the same designer who designed the award winning cartridge MC Jubilee and the Kontrapunktseries.
The inspiration for designing the 2M was related to the facets of the diamond - elegantly concentrating its contours against the grooves on the record surface.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. We wanted a modernname which should be easy to pronounce and to remember, and therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet.
We are using the same names on our 2M series as we use at our Rondo series: Red, Blue and Bronze. The 2M Black will become the flagship of 2M.
2M was the last product of our former chief engineer Per Windfield. He has worked with the 2M for the last two years.
The 2M technology
2M are designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Our philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound. We have optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, weight and size to fit the most common turntables at the market today.
The 2M Black is the new moving magnet flagship from Ortofon. The 2M black is graced with a Shibata diamond stylus - the same diamond as on the acclaimed MC Jubilee. Its slim, highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the groove walls and ensures notably detailed reproduction throughout the spectrum, including even the most high frequency groove information.
The 2M series has interchangeable stylus units and replacement stylus is available.
To obtain a flat frequency response as with a Moving Coil cartridge we are using the slit pole pins to reduce the eddy current. The slit pole pins is an Ortofon invention which was presented in the 500 series and the Super OM series.
The cartridge body used for the 2M Bronze and 2M Black is manufactured from a newly-developed Noryl plastic/glass combination, a revolutionary material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances. The 2M Bronze and 2M Black use a special upgraded engine, featuring split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire.
* Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 5 mV
* Channel balance at 1 kHz 1 dB
* Channel separation at 1 kHz 26 dB
* Channel separation at 15 kHz 15 dB
* Frequency range at - 3dB 20-31.000 Hz
* Frequency response 20-20.000 + 2 / - 0 dB
* Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force 80 Ķm
* Compliance, dynamic, lateral 22 Ķm/mN
* Stylus type Nude Shibata
* Stylus tip radius r/R 6/50 Ķm
* Tracking force range 1,4-1,7g (14-17 mN)
* Tracking force, recommended 1,5 g (15 mN)
* Tracking angle 20į
* Internal impedance, DC resistance 1,2 kOhm
* Internal inductance 630 mH
* Recommended load resistance 47 kOhm
* Recommended load capacitance 150-300 pF
* Cartridge colour, body/stylus Black/Black
* Cartridge weight 7,2 g
* Replacement stylus unit 2M Black